When you book your stay at a Beavers Bend Creative Escapes cabin, some of the best outdoor adventures are right around the corner. Whether you’re hiking the trails found inside Beavers Bend State Park or spending an afternoon out on the water on a canoe rental, the possibilities are endless. Perhaps one of the best kept-secret outdoor attractions is the Little River National Wildlife Refuge. On your next visit to Broken Bow, leave room in your itinerary to visit this natural wonder.
What to Know about This Oklahoma Wildlife Refuge
When the refuge was established in 1987, it became the 438th refuge in the country. The 14,216-acre area protects one of the state’s largest sections of bottomland hardwood forests. Most of the space is filled with bottomland trees like cypress, willow oak, sweetgum, and more. It is also home to several waterfowl and migratory birds.
What to Do on Your Visit
Spending some time in this refuge is a great way to unplug for a little while. There is no fee to visit, making this one of the best free activities in the area. There are several different adventures you can embark on during your visit.
- Depending on the refuge seasons, you can go hunting for squirrel, turkey, beaver, feral hog, coyote, raccoon, rabbit, and white-tail deer. Be sure to read up on the area hunting laws so you can have a fun, safe, and legal hunt.
- Fishing is allowed year-round. Cast your line for catfish, crappie, largemouth bass, or bluegill from one of the refuge waterways.
- There are more than 2,100 miles of trails and boardwalks to explore. Some trails even include local history, visual arts, and environmental and cultural education displays.
- Capture breathtaking views through wildlife photography. Whether you’re using your phone or a camera, there are a number of overlooks, blinds, and wildlife drives throughout the refuge that help you get the perfect shot.
- Given the number of birds that flock to Little River, one of the best activities is birding. Bring along your binoculars, and you might just spot everything from bald eagles to puffins.
Unwind in Comfort on Your Oklahoma Getaway
With so many things to do and see on your vacation in Broken Bow, you need a relaxing place to call home. That’s exactly what you get when staying at a vacation rental from Beavers Bend Creative Escapes. After a day spent exploring Little River National Wildlife Refuge, enjoy all the amenities that come from staying at one of our luxurious cabin rentals.
Have a movie night in your spacious living room, or make a delicious meal in the fully equipped kitchen. Relax by the fire before turning in for the night. With cabins in various sizes and prices, we have something that checks all your boxes. Call 580-306-2265 to learn more about our properties or special offers.