There is so much to see and do in the Broken Bow area that we can’t possibly list them all here. However, we’d like to suggest 15 of the most popular activities enjoyed by visitors to the Broken Bow area!
1. Head to a park. The Broken Bow Lake area includes both Hochatown State Park and Beavers Bend Resort Park. There is something to do for visitors of all ages on and around the lake including hiking, golf, horseback riding, traditional fishing, guided fly-fishing, a train ride, the marina with watercraft for rent, and a small forestry museum that kids really enjoy. Don’t miss the gorgeous foliage in the fall!
2. Go horseback riding. From beginner riders to experienced horsemen, there are outfitters in the area that offer unforgettable trips. The Broken Bow area offers spectacular scenery, and you can find some of the best vistas on horseback.
3. Canoeing/Kayaking. There area number of outfitters offering river trips. Rent one of the available boats, or bring your own and let the outfitter transfer you up-river.
4. Beavers Bend Folk Festival and Craft Show – a celebration of heritage, music, nature and art held each November at Beavers Bend State Park. Turn-of-the-centruy arts and crafts, petting zoo, crafting demonstrations, folk music, food vendors and more.
5. Kiamichi Owa-Chito Festival of the Forest – celebrate the days gone by in southeast Oklahoma at Beavers Bend State Park. Held each June, you’ll see a wide array of forestry competitions, musicians and more.
6. Enjoy a campfire at your Beavers Bend Creative Escapes cabin. Campfire dinners, S’mores, ghost stories… make your own fun from traditional to outrageous!
7. Take a moonlight walk. You might see deer, raccoon, squirrel, opossum, fox, beavers, bats, and armadillos. Do be on the lookout for the more dangerous wildlife as well – chances are they’ll scamper away when they hear you approach, but be sure to give them a wide berth if you encounter them.
8. Enjoy tasting local wines. For families with older “kids”, Girls Gone Wine offers tastings, a cute gift shop, and of course wine shopping!
9. Miniature Golf and Go Karts. Hochatown Amusements offers mini-golf and mini NASCAR go-carts – whether you choose leisurely fun or fast-paced excitement is completely up to you!
10. Go on an historical scavenger hunt. The Beavers Bend area is full of history and lore. Find traditional historical markers, abandoned buildings, upkept historic buildings, cemeteries full of our settlers and natives, and major landmarks.
11. Try your hand at Choctaw Casino. Also for families with “older” kids, no kids, or empty-nester adults, Choctaw Casino offers fun, excitement, and great service.
12. Visit one of our area museums. Whether natural, historic, or even odd, there is something for just about any taste.
13. Have fun on four wheels. Broken Bow Skateway offers open skating on Friday and Saturday nights, and private parties by reservation.
14. Indulge your sweet-tooth. Whip Poor Will Fudge Factory and Sweet Shoppe offers homemade fudge in more than a dozen flavors plus seasonal highlights.
15. Discover a treasure. Janet’s Treasure Chest is an eclectic store with antiques, collectibles, decor, and a Kids Corner which focuses on camping activities.
You are sure to find something to suit your interests during a Broken Bow getaway. Choose Beavers Bend Creative Escapes for great lodging in the midst of all this fun!