Hiking is one of those activities that can take you to some of the most scenic places on the planet. While those of us who are privileged to live in Broken Bow, OK may be slightly biased, we truly do have a slice of heaven here that is a hiker’s paradise. Hiking is the perfect outdoor pursuit. It doesn’t cost anything besides a great pair of boots and maybe some walking poles, it can be done alone or with friends, you can take it easy or challenge your expert hiking skills and being in nature just feeds the soul!
There are many spectacular places to hike in Oklahoma but the Beavers Bend State Park area and Broken Bow Lake offer fantastic trails for the recreational or expert hiker. Vibrant colors, rushing waters, never-ending trail options and friendly people along the way will create an enjoyable adventure for any hiker. All of the trails in our area are clearly marked and the elevations on some of them will allow you to take in breathtaking views of the hills. The air is quiet and still, beautiful pines and oaks surround you and you may even catch some bald eagles soaring above. There are countless spots along the way to rest and have a picnic lunch. Bring your camera to capture the beauty around you or a fishing pole for the many hidden spots you will pass along the trails. Try the Skyline and Deer Crossing trails, two favorites of locals and visitors alike.
Helpful Hiking Tips:
- Wear sturdy boots or shoes that are comfortable and broken in.
- Get a filter to refill your water bottles at the natural springs, which are beautiful and refreshing! Be sure to capture water from the moving portion of the stream for better water quality.
- Hiking sticks or poles are a must while backpacking for stability and balance—especially if you will be carrying a heavier backpack.
- Stay hydrated and consume enough calories to keep you going.
- Bring some lightweight binoculars for the scenic views and nighttime stargazing.
- If you have access to two cars, park one on each end of the trail.
- Have an emergency and first aid kit with you.
- Check in at the front desk before you go so there is someone who knows your whereabouts.
Whether you need to leave a crowded city or just need a break from the everyday life, come take a hike with us! Beavers Bend Creative Escapes can provide you with a luxurious private cabin—the perfect home away from home. Grab a bite to eat at Abendigos and then come back to your cabin and relax in the hot tub or by the fireplace, have coffee on the porch or play games in the cozy living area. Visit us online to choose the cabin that best suits you and contact us for reservation information. Lace up your hiking boots, grab a water bottle and point your compass in our direction—We look forward to seeing you on the trails!